Frequently Asked Questions

    How can I uninstall an old anti-virus program from my computer?

    This list includes most major anti-virus software.  If you want to uninstall one of these from your computer, simply click on the link and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

    CA Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security
    Cyber Defender Early Detection Center
    Dr. Web  (Only registered Dr. Web users can access support content)
    FRISK F-PROT Antivirus for Windows
    G Data
    K7 Total Security
    Norman Virus Control/Norman Security Suite
    Norton (Symantec)
    Norton Security Scan
    Panda Cloud Internet Protection
    Pareto Logic
    Trend Micro
    Trend Micro Titanium
    Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Agent
    Vipre (Sunbelt Software)
    Windows Live OneCare
    Windows Security Essentials
    Zone Alarm

    How can I protect my non-HMS accounts?

    There are a number of websites that are popular for students (and faculty and staff!) to use on their own time that can be potentially hazardous to your personal computers, the school computers, the security of your HMS accounts, and your identity.  Many major websites have implemented new security procedures that can help to:
    1. Alert you when an unauthorized person has accessed your account
    2. Tell you when and where your account has been logged on
    3. Only log in when given a special code that was retrieved from a secondary device such as a mobile phone

    Information can be found here:

    Google +, Gmail, all other Google Account Services


    Can I forward my email to a Gmail account?

    Yes. Log into your MyCourses account with your username and case-sensitive password.  In the upper left, click on My Account and then the Email Settings tab.  Under Email Forwarding, change the radio button to Forward my emails to: and enter a non HMS email address in that box.  Click Save Email Forwarding and then you can send a test email to your HMS account.  NOTE: if you are forwarding to a Gmail account, please try to send an email from somewhere other than your HMS or Gmail account as Gmail tries to decide you didn't mean to email yourself.

    Do I have aliases for my student HMS email account?

    Yes, login to your MyCourses account. Click on My Account and then the Email Settings tab.  Under Email Forwarding you can see the section titled Email Forwarding where you can find any email aliases already set up for your account.

    Why am I receiving email notices that I am approaching the maximum quota for my email account?

    Students will receive an email notice when their email accounts reach 1900MB. This notice is to alert them that they are approaching the 2GB limit and that deletion of unwanted emails should take place. You can check the total size of each sub-folder and folders to see if you are over the 2GB quota by checking the mailbox folder and inbox size for your account. If a student email account goes over the 2Gb limit, your account will be locked down. If your account is locked down, please request for your email account to be open by emailing

    What is the Outbox folder for?

    The outbox folder simply queues all emails that are about to be sent out. Once an email is sent out, a copy of it is placed in the Sent Items folder.


    I am being prompted that my password is going to expire. Do I need to change it?

    Yes, you need to change your MyCourses case-sensitive password if you are prompted to change it. You must change your case-sensitive password to one that is completely different from your previous one, does not have your name or MyCourses username in it, and must follow the syntax rules. You can do this in MyCourses after login click on My Account in the upper right, then the Account Security tab.

    Can I send mail from gmail as my hms email address?

    In Gmail, click on the cog in the upper right-hand corner.  In the resulting menu, choose Settings.

    In the settings area, click on the Accounts and Import heading.

    Find the option to Send mail as: and click on Add another email address you own

    In the resulting box, enter your name as you would like it to appear, your email address, and your reply to address.  Make sure you uncheck treat as an alias if you do not want it to show up as such (usually the case).  If your email is forwarded to gmail make sure all of these are set to your hms email address.

    After hitting Next Step you have a choice to make - you can either send through Gmail or SMTP.  Try Gmail first as it's simpler, but if you experience issues, you can follow instructions for SMTP.  Also, the Gmail option doesn't record sent mail on our servers, the SMTP option will.  The Gmail option WILL record mail in your Gmail account.  The correct settings for SMTP are shown below.

    After hitting next step from either Gmail or SMTP, you will have to verify that you own that email address by either clicking a link or entering a code.  Hit Send Verification to have Gmail send it to you.

    If you hit the link in the email, you can close the window below otherwise you can use it to enter the confirmation code that was sent in the email as well (if the link doesn't work for some reason).  There's no reason to do both.

    Once you've set up the account, you should see both accounts like below.  If you will mainly be sending from HMS, you can make it your default, otherwise you can choose before sending.  You can also choose how to reply.  I would recommend Reply from the same address the message was sent to

    If you're choosing which mailbox to send from, click the mailbox in the from field while composing a new message and a drop-down with both addresses will appear.

    How can I fix the Real Player security error in IE?

    Open IE and in the Tools menu, choose Internet Options and click on Security

    In the Security tab, click on the green check mark labeled Trusted Sites then click on the  Sites  button below. 

    In the Trusted Sites Dialogue, enter "https://*" without the quotes and then click Add.  Click Close.

    Back in the Security tab, Click on the Custom Level button and scroll down to find "Display Mixed Content" and change the radio button to select "Enable".  Click OK, OK, and then try reloading your MyCourses video page

    How can I archive my mail in Mac Mail?

    Archiving Folders in Mail

    The easiest way to make an archive is to simply grab the mailbox (or mailbox folder), and drag it to the Finder, for example, to the Desktop.

    1. Select the folder from the source list on the left of Mail. For example, the Inbox, or any special folder you have created.
    2. Drag it to the desktop. This will create a mbox folder.
    3. If space is an issue, control-click on this new folder and select "Create Archive of 'Inbox.mbox'".
    4. Delete the messages from Mail, to reclaim the space and make Mail more responsive.

    Use File > Import Mailboxes from within Mail to retrieve the messages (which are still searchable by Spotlight, unless they've been archived).

    Use an Off-site E-Mail Account

    Many independent email providers provide ample space. Saving a copy of every email to this remote site mean an email does not have to be stored locally forever.

    1. Sign up for an email account somewhere that provides plenty of space, such as Gmail.
    2. Create a rule in Mail by opening Mail's preference window and selecting the Rules tab.
    3. Set up the rule to read as follows
     If any of the following conditions are met:
         Every Message
     Perform the following actions:
         Forward Message to

    This rule would make Mail forward your messages to the selected email account. Some people may not prefer this because forwarding mails causes your destination email account would now have all mails addressed from you (to you) and you'd have to open each mail to know who the actual sender and recipients were (since it's impossible to guess correctly just from the subject). If you'd like to have it resemble the original mail, you could instead "redirect" instead of "forwarding" - this would retain the same sender/recipients as the original message and yet get forwarded to the selected account. To accomplish this, use the following rule

     If any of the following conditions are met:
         Every Message
     Perform the following actions:
         Redirect Message to
    1. Assign a helpful description ("Forward to gmail") and save the rule.
    2. Position the new rule so it is below the junk filter(s). This rule stops evaluating rules when it has a positive match, which is desirable, since there is no need to send spam off to the remote email account.

    Archive the Entire Mail Library

    It is also possible to archive Mail's entire library at once. This may be desirable when upgrading to a new Mac for example.

    1. Quit Mail.
    2. Navigate to ~/Library
    3. Control-click on the Mail folder and select "Create Archive of Mail"
    4. This will create which you may offload to a backup device.

    To use this archive, quit Mail, remove (or rename) ~/Library/Mail and unarchive the .zip file to this location.

    How can I archive mail in Outlook?

    To create an archive of old messages in Outlook separate from the PST file you use every day:

    • Select File | Data File Management from the menu in Outlook.
    • Click Add....
    • Choose the desired format. Unless you may need to access the data with Outlook 2002 or earlier directly, it is safe to highlight Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst).
    • Click OK.
    • Enter the desired file name.
      • I like yearly archives, and naming the PST file after the year makes sense. Of course, you can choose monthly archives if you do have lots of big mail to deal with, or another scheme. Just make sure the resulting PST files' sizes are somewhere around 1-2 GB. Larger files tend to be less efficient.
    • Click OK.
    • Type the archive PST file's desired name under Name:.
      • Again, it makes sense to name your archive after its contents (a year's worth of mail in my case).
    • Optionally, protect access with a password.
    • Click OK.
    • Now click Close.

    Move Mail to the Archive

    To populate your newly created archive PST:

    • Drag and drop entire folders to the root folder newly appearing under Mail Folders.
      • This is handy if you already have an "Archive" folder that contains, say, all of last year's mail. Just drop it unto the archive PST.
    • Alternatively, to archive individual items:
      • Click on the root folder named after your archive PST under Mail Folders with the right mouse button.
      • Select New Folder... from the menu.
      • Type the desired folder name.
      • Make sure Mail and Post Items is selected under Folder contains: if you want to archive emails. For archiving other items, choose the appropriate category.
      • Click OK.
      • Drag and drop individual or groups of emails onto the newly created folder.
    • To move all mail preceding a certain date in a folder (or nested folders):
      • Select File | Archive... from the menu in Outlook.
      • Make sure Archive this folder and all subfolders: is selected.
      • Highlight the desired folder.
      • Specify the date emails prior to which (say, this year's January 1) you want to move underArchive items older than: __.
      • Use the Browse... button to select the archive PST file created above.
      • Click OK.

    How can I get to work with an older version of Java? will send lots of warnings due to out of date java versions. Unfortunately, Java can send new versions almost weekly at times and it's almost impossible for us to update the tutorial computers this often. To circumvent this issue, you can follow these simple steps to use the older version of java just fine! 

    1.  On the website, once you have chosen something to view, depending on which browser, you will get a message similar to this one asking whether or not to run Java. Choose to "Always run on this site" so you will not be prompted for the rest of your browsing session.

    2.  Once you choose to run Java, if the version is out of date, the browser will prompt you to update. Since you are not logged in as an admin, you will not be able to. This is fine! Java updates happen constantly and we can't install all of them… no worries… your program will still run. Click the last option "Later." You can also choose "Do not ask again…" on the bottom so the browser leaves you alone for the rest of your browsing session.

    3.  Once you get through these two obstacles, Java will ask if you want to run the application. This would happen whether Java was up to date or not. This is because you're running an applet over the web that could potentially harm your computer (in Java's eyes). Go ahead and click Run after checking off "I accept the risk…".

    4.  As the program is run, you may also see this window. It is referring to components of the program itself. This will need you to click "Don't Block" to allow the program to run. Again, it's just Java trying to help keep you safe. Computers aren't as smart as we are and need a little guidance!

    5. It works! After a few simple clicks, you can view 3D models! 

    How can I run an ipconfig?

    For Windows XP Users:

    Click on Start and then Run and type cmd in the text box and press enter.

    For Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: 

    Click on the Windows Start button and type cmd, right click cmd on the top and select Run Administrator. A message will pop up saying 'Do you want to allow the following program to make changes in your computer?', Answer YES.

    For Windows 8 Users:

    From your desktop move the cursor to top right hand corner and the Start Menu will appear then click on Search.... In the Search box type cmd and click on Command Prompt from the list of Apps.

    Then, FOR ALL:

    From the Command Prompt (black) screen, type ipconfig /all press enter. You will now see the results or output.

    Note: You may also use any of these valid renditions: ipconfig/all ipconfig -all To send us the output, right click on the Command Prompt Window and choose Select All, then press Enter, go to your email and paste it in. 

    How can I get (Partners LMR) to run?

    1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Go to Tools>Internet Options

    3. Click on the Security Tab

    4. Click on the Trusted Sites button and then the button labeled Sites

    5. Type into the Add the website to the zone: box and then click on the add button. Finish by clicking close.

    6. Click on Custom Level.

    7. In the resulting menu, find Download unsigned ActiveX Controls and choose Enable.

    8. Hit OK, then OK. Exit Internet Explorer then reopen it.

    9. Go to and login. Follow the prompts to choose "run" to install the program. Once installed, you should have access to LMR.

    How can I get my Mac to stop preferring the HMS Public wireless network?

    1. Open the network preferences by clicking on the wireless icon on your menu bar and choosing Open Network Preferences

    2. Click on the button labeled Advanced toward the bottom of the dialog box

    3. You will probably find HMS Public higher in the list than HMS Private. Note: Your list will likely have manymore wireless networks than mine, but the overall point is to find these 2 networks.

    4. Click on one of the networks and drag it so that HMS Private is above HMS Public in the list. This will make your computer PREFER HMS Private if it is in range.

    How can I change the email password on my Android device?

    Please note: Android versions differ, but the overall process is very similar. Please come into TMEC 225 if you continue having issues.

     1.  There are 2 ways to get to the settings for your account:

    a.  Click on the Apps button

    Find the "Settings" Application

    Click on general (if applicable, some phones have all settings under one header) and choose Accounts.

    Choose the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account

    Click through, choosing your email address for HMS if you have more than one set up, until you get to the page with the Password option.

    b.  OR, go to the mail app that you normally receive your HMS email in and hit the menu button on your device. On the resulting menu, choose settings.

    Choose the Account Settings menu option

    2.  Click the Arrow button which will allow you to change your stored password. Hit OK and your device will make sure the new password that you entered is correct.