In addition to several articles that will be distributed in pdf form on the course website, the required books for the course are:
- (ALZ) Ashenfelter, Orley, Levine, Philip, and Zimmerman, David. 2003. Statistics and Econometrics: Methods and Applications. John Wiley & Sons.
- (GH) Gelman, Andrew and Hill, Jennifer. 2007. Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models. Cambridge University Press.
Note: Most of the required material from ALZ can also be found in the Wooldridge text listed first in the optional books section.
The following books are optional but may prove useful to students looking for additional coverage of some of the course topics.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey. 2000. Introductory Econometrics. New York: South-Western.
- Fox, John. 1997. Applied Regression Analysis, Linear Models, and Related Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Fox, John. 2002. An R and S-PLUS Companion to Applied Regression. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Gill, Jeff. 2006. Essential Mathematics for Political and Social Research. 1st Edition. 2nd printing. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Weisberg, Sanford. 2005. Applied Linear Regression. 3rd Edition. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
- Freedman, David; Robert Pisani; and Roger Purves. 1998. Statistics. 3rd Edition. New York: Norton.
- Agresti, Alan and Finlay, Barbara. 1997. Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Cleveland, William S. 1993. Visualizing Data. Summit, NJ: Hobart Press.
- Simon, Carl and Blume, Lawrence. 1994. Mathematics for Economists. New York: Norton.
- Kennedy, Peter. 2003. A Guide to Econometrics. 5th Edition. Malden. Blackwell.
- Wonnacott, Thomas H. and Ronald J. Wonnacott. 1990. Introductory Statistics. 5th Edition. New York: Wiley.
- Venables, W.N. and B.D. Ripley. 2002. Modern Applied Statistics with S-PLUS. New York: Springer
- Gonick, Larry and Smith, Woollcott. 1993. The Cartoon Guide to Statistics New York: Harper.
- Tufte, Edward. 2001. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2nd Edition. Cheshire, CN: Graph- ics Press.