Harvard Internal Funding


Graduate Student Research Grants at Harvard

Asia Center Graduate Student Grants
The Harvard Asia Center offers several grants and fellowships available to students of Asian Studies and students wishing to pursue research or language study in Asia.

Center for American Political Studies
In order to encourage innovative research by graduate students on any aspect of contemporary American politics, CAPS offers Research Seed Grants to support data collection, research-related travel, or expenses connected with making presentations at professional or scholarly meetings. Grants up to a maximum of $1,000 are available to cover expenses of data collection or travel to obtain research materials; grants up to a maximum of $300 are available to help cover costs of travel to present a paper at a professional meeting or research conference. CAPS Research Seed Grants are available quickly and with a minimum of red tape. At any stage of graduate work, students in Government, Sociology, Economics, History, and other social science Ph.D. programs may apply simply by submitting a proposal including a budget by email to the CAPS Administrator, Lilia Halpern-Smith. The email is circulated to a small committee of CAPS faculty, and a decision is made quickly, usually within a matter of days.

Committee on African Studies
The Committee on African Studies offers undergraduate and graduate student research and language-training funding for students who focus on Africa.

David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies
The Rockefeller Center offers several research and language-training grants for students who study Latin America and the Caribbean.

Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies
The Fairbank Center offers research and language-training grants for undergraduates and graduate students in Chinese Studies.

Foreign Language Study Grants
Foreign language study grants are available to students for summer abroad language study after their G1, G2, or G3 years. Applicants must show the importance of the foreign language for their research, and the grant must be used for an intensive language program lasting at least six weeks.  Grants consist of a stipend of $2,500 plus up to $4,000 toward foreign language tuition costs. (Room, board, travel, or costs other than tuition will not be covered.)

Graduate Student Council Conference and Summer Research Grants
The Graduate Student Council offers grants for conference attendance and summer research on a competitive basis to GSAS students who are enrolled full-time in a degree-granting program or who are GSAS Special Students, who are members of the Council, and whose department has been represented at GSC monthly meetings.

Joint Center for Housing Studies Dissertation Award
The Joint Center is pleased to offer a fellowship award for the academic year 2009-20010 for doctoral candidates at Harvard University who are engaged in writing a dissertation on a housing-related topic consistent with the Center’s research agenda. The award will provide a stipend of $5,000. Acceptance of the award comes with the understanding that the Joint Center for Housing Studies will have the option of publishing a portion of the paper as a Joint Center Working Paper, or in the annual State of the Nation’s Housing Report.

Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies Graduate Student Grants
CES believes very strongly that a vital part of the training of future Europeanists is the ability to conduct fieldwork in the region. Thanks to an endowment originally provided by the Krupp Foundation, the Center is able to provide a year of support for dissertation research abroad to large numbers of students as well as summer grants for graduate students who are in the preliminary stages of choosing a topic or who, at a late stage in writing, would benefit from a short trip to do final archival work or interviews.

Native American Program (HUNAP) Research Grants
Throughout Indian Country, Native peoples are addressing the challenges of building self-determined nations and communities. HUNAP's senior thesis, graduate research grant, and Nation Building fellowships provide financial assistance to the work of enrolled Harvard students pursuing an undergraduate, professional, or graduate degree as well as qualified pre-candidacy doctoral students. Students must be in residence at Harvard. Harvard undergraduates are eligible to apply in their junior year and must be completing a senior thesis. Grants are made to support the direct expense of research, fieldwork, travel, and practicum, leading to fulfillment of course work, research papers, or related degree requirements and/or advancement to doctoral candidacy. A research paper must be completed for a course. As conditions of the award, the fellowship/grant recipients must present their research as a part of the HUNAP Colloquia Series.

Real Estate Academic Initiative
The Real Estate Academic Initiative at Harvard University offers grants to support real estate and urban development research by Harvard faculty and students. The research committee will review applications for grants on a rolling basis and will give priority to interdisciplinary and interfaculty collaborative research efforts.

Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies
The Reischauer Institute offers several research and language-training grants for undergraduates and graduate students who study Japan.

Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
The Weatherhead Center offers research and language-training grants for students who conduct research on international, transnational, and comparative topics (both contemporary and historical), including rigorous policy analysis as well as the study of countries and regions other than the United States.