In my research, I am driven to design clever, impactful solutions to challenging real-world problems, using Artificial Intelligence. Specifically, I'm interested in leveraging tools such as Machine Learning, Online Learning/Reinforcement Learning, Bandits/Restless Bandits, Probabilistic Modeling, and Sequential Decision Making.
My current Ph.D. research revolves around using AI for public health. My recent work (NeurIPS'20 and AAMAS'21 papers) involved designing planning algorithms for health workers managing and monitoring Tuberculosis (TB) patients. The algorithms help the health workers plan interventions by recommending to them each day, which patients they must intervene on, so as to maximize the health outcomes for their patient cohort.
Prior to joining Harvard, I graduated with a B.Tech and M.Tech (Integrated dual degree) in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay.
I will be spending summer 2021, as a Research Intern at Google Research US and IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, working on AI for social good projects. Previously I've spent summer 2016 interning at Sony Corp., Tokyo, Japan, and summer 2017 interning at NTU, Taiwan, and have also spent a year at USC in Los Angeles (2018-2019) as an Annenberg Fellow.
Previously, I was also fortunate to have been selected to represent India at the International Science School at the University of Sydney, Australia (2013).
I also love traveling and exploring new countries and am very grateful that apart from allowing me to live in Boston and Los Angeles in the United States, life has also taken me to Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Macao, Indonesia, and Mauritius (besides India, of course).
- June 2021: I'm grateful to have been awarded a peer bonus for my "tremendous efforts and contributions" during my summer internship at Google Research!
- June 2021: I'll be a Research Intern at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center as a 'Science for Social Good Fellow' from June — September!
- April 2021: I'll be a Research Intern at Google Research US from April — June!
- March 2021: Co-organizing the Harvard CRCS Rising Stars Speaker Series
- December 2020:
- November 2020: Passed my Ph.D. qualifying exam! Looking forward to next milestones and more impactful research!
- October 2020: Presented at Computational Sustainability DC 2020, our recent research on "Collapsing Bandits" (NeurIPS-20) jointly with co-first author, Jackson A. Killian [talk]
September 2020: Our paper on "Collapsing Bandits" accepted to NeurIPS-2020! [arxiv]
Maxwell Dworkin MD 213
33 Oxford Street,
Cambridge, MA 02143