News Media Alliance counts 672 major daily newspapers in the US today and more than half of them (382) are owned by a few major parent companies. These seven largest owners of daily newspapers in America today include:
- Advance Local Publications (22 dailies)
- Alden Global Capital Venture Capital owns Digital First Media (56 dailies).
- Chatham Asset Management owns the McClatchy newspapers (30 dailies) and Canad's Post Media.
- Gannett Co., Inc. (250 dailies).
- Hearst (23 dailies).
- Lee Enterprises (90 dailies).
- Tribune Company (10 dailies).