During the academic year, writing consultants offer a variety of services to the HKS community, from assisting students with assignments such as policy memos, case analyses, and other class papers, to helping seasoned writers polish drafts for publications. The writing consultants offer one-on-one consultations.
Scheduling a consultation
These free private sessions can help you:
- self-edit for clarity, concision, and style
- structure an argument to present your ideas effectively to different audiences
- find appropriate resources on citation (MLA, Chicago, etc.)
For appointments, please email the consultant directly.
The Writing Consultants are:
Morgan McVicar earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Virginia and master's degrees from the University of Missouri and Harvard Kennedy School (MC/MPA 2003.) He has worked as a reporter and essayist at the Sunday Times of London and the Providence Journal, where he won nearly a dozen national and regional writing awards. His works have also appeared in the Columbia Journalism Review, The Boston Globe, and Quill Magazine.
Greg Harris, Adjunct Lecturer in Public Policy, has taught journalism, creative writing, and persuasive writing in the Harvard College Writing Program and in the Extension School. He is the founding editor of Pangyrus, a journal of literature, ideas, and politics, and is founder and co-director of Harvard LITfest, the university literary festival. His stories and essays have appeared in The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Boston Globe, Harvard Review, and elsewhere. He holds an MFA in creative writing and an MA in Cultural Anthropology, and spent 2011 as a Fulbright Scholar in Bulgaria, researching his latest novel..
Regarding appointments, keep in mind:
- Last-minute appointments are often not possible, although the consultants try to be flexible. Try to make an appointment well before an assignment is due.
- Writing consultants are not copy editors nor proofreaders. They will work with you to improve style, structure, argumentation, citations, use of data and grammar.
- The consultants are willing to help international students with English grammar on a limited basis, but they are not ESL instructors.
HKS Communications Program | Belfer Building, Room 207 | 617-495-1329