Research Fellow, Harvard Medical School
I received my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Biological Sciences from the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali (IISER Mohali). Then I pursued my Ph.D. degree in the laboratory of Prof. Thorsten Wohland at the National University of Singapore. My doctorate studies focussed on understanding the role of membrane lipid composition in regulating plasma membrane dynamics and organization. I utilized advanced quantitative microscopy methods to measure lipid diffusion dynamics in live cell membranes and artificial model membranes. A part of my thesis research demonstrated the role of long acyl chain ceramides in mediating plasma membrane cholesterol and actin cytoskeleton dynamics. In Dr. Timothy Hla's lab, I intend to extend my understanding of sphingolipid biology in in vivo and in vitro systems. I joined the Hla lab in October 2020 to investigate the role of S1P receptor 1 in the recently discovered glymphatic transport pathway.
1. Gupta A, Phang IY, Wohland T. To Hop or not to Hop: Exceptions in the FCS Diffusion Law. Biophys J. 2020 05 19; 118(10):2434-2447. PMID: 32333863.
2. Gupta A, Korte T, Herrmann A, Wohland T. Plasma membrane asymmetry of lipid organization: fluorescence lifetime microscopy and correlation spectroscopy analysis. J Lipid Res. 2020 02; 61(2):252-266. PMID: 31857388.
3. Gupta A, Muralidharan S, Torta F, Wenk MR, Wohland T. Long acyl chain ceramides govern cholesterol and cytoskeleton dependence of membrane outer leaflet dynamics. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2020 03 01; 1862(3):183153. PMID: 31857071.
4. Gupta A, Marzinek JK, Jefferies D, Bond PJ, Harryson P, Wohland T. The disordered plant dehydrin Lti30 protects the membrane during water-related stress by cross-linking lipids. J Biol Chem. 2019 04 19; 294(16):6468-6482. PMID: 30819802.
5. Huang S*, Lim SY*, Gupta A*, Bag N, Wohland T. Plasma membrane organization and dynamics is probe and cell line dependent. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2017 Sep; 1859(9 Pt A):1483-1492. PMID: 27998689.