Applications are due on March 1, 2016. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out on March 31, 2016.
There are 6 components of your application to the summer institute.
1) The NEH cover sheet
The cover sheet can be found here:
Please fill out the cover sheet and submit it both online to the NEH through the link above, and directly to the project co-directors via email (as a pdf or word document) at firstname.lastname@example.org and via mail as a hard copy (see "Submitting Your Application" below for the address), along with the rest of your application materials.
*Note: On the cover sheet website, only 3 application components are listed. This is a general requirement for all NEH summer projects, and we are requesting additional components for evaluation for this institute in particular. Applicants will only be considered if they submit all 6 components.
2) The Application Essay
Please write a 1-3 pages describing how your research project relates to the project of the institute. Include your reasons for applying for this specific project, your relevant personal and academic information, what you hope to accomplish, and the relation of the project to your teaching. This information is the most important component of your application. Feel free to discuss the relationship between your writing sample and the topics of the institute.
3) Two References
Please send the contact information for two references (no letters required).
Please send a CV of no more than 3 pages, including information about your education, employment, publications, presentations, work in progress, and courses that you regularly teach.
5) Statement of Research Interests
Please include 1-2 pages about your current research interests. Feel free to include projects that are independent of the NEH summer institute.
6) Writing Sample
Please include a sample of your work, published or unpublished.
Submitting Your Application
You need to submit your application in three ways in order to be considered.
1) You need to submit component 1 (the NEH cover sheet) to the NEH via this link:
2) You need to submit components 1-6 to the project selection committee via email (in word or pdf format) at:
Please title the attachments in the format "NumberComponent_Name". For example, "6WritingSample_WillardVanOrmanQuine"
3) You need to submit hard copies of components 1-6 to the project selection committee via mail to:
Application Criteria and Selection Process
Applications will be evaluated by a committee consisting of the project co-directors and other scholars. The selection criteria they use will include:
- Quality and commitment as a teacher, scholar, and interpreter of the humanities
- Intellectual interests, in general and as they relate to the work of the institute
- Special perspectives, skills, or experiences that would contribute to the institute
- Commitment to participate fully in the formal and informal collegial life of the institute
- The likelihood that the experience will enhance the applicant's teaching and scholarship