Our mission is to support student learning in the processes of scientific investigation. The process of doing science involves creating and using models to predict and explain measurements of physical quantities. As a group of teaching professionals working in the laboratory, our emphasis is to help students learn to make and interpret measurements, compare data to model predictions, and use the results of their analysis to revise models. We do this by:
- Designing laboratory activities that engage student thinking and problem solving.
- Working with faculty to integrate laboratory learning into courses and larger scale curricula.
- Introducing and supporting innovative physics teaching.
- Assessing student learning.
- Training teaching fellows and involving them in development of teaching strategies.
- Supporting student projects, both as part of courses and informal.
- Outreach to larger communities.