The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) was established in July 1954 with the mission to promote the well-being of women and their children and to raise the standard of practice in obstetrics and gynecology. It is the only international professional body that represents obstetricians and gynecologists from around the world. FIGO currently works through 125 national member societies of obstetricians and gynecologists from both resourced and low-medium resourced countries, and is considered a respectable and credible voice in the promotion of women and children’s health globally. FIGO commits its resources to the promotion of sexual and reproductive health and rights through educational, research and advocacy activities and to strengthening its communication links with and between its member societies.
- to improve the health and well being of women and newborn children worldwide;
- to raise the status of women and enable their active participation to achieve their reproductive and sexual rights with access to efficient education and services throughout their life cycle;
- and to upgrade the practice of obstetrics and gynecology through education, training and research to maintain a high standard of professionalism and ethical adherence
FIGO’s considerable global achievements include a staging system for gynecologic tumors (used in hospitals worldwide); ethical guidelines; harmonization of scientific terminology; numerous General Assembly resolutions; and various major maternal and newborn health initiatives funded by major global donor bodies.
- Encouraging all efforts for raising the status of women and for advancing their role in all issues related to women’s health
- Promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights and services through education, research and advocacy, as well as through the provision of accessible, efficient, affordable, sustainable and comprehensive reproductive health services
- Emphasizing the importance of achieving the Millennium Development Goals by 2015 - FIGO is committed to accelerating its efforts and activities to reach MDG targets, especially in the area of safe motherhood and newborn health
- Continually upgrading the practice of gynecology and obstetrics through research, education and training, and by maintaining the highest levels of professionalism and scientific and ethical standards
- Improving communication with and between Member Associations and building the capacities of those from low-resource countries through strengthening leadership, management, good practice and the promotion of policy dialogues
- Strengthening capacities to enable societies to play a pivotal role in the development and implementation of sustainable programs aimed at the improvement of care available to women and newborns, especially for poor and undeserved populations
- Recognizing the importance of collaborative efforts for advancing women’s health and rights - FIGO is committed to strengthening partnerships with other international professional organizations, UN agencies, and the public/private sector to achieve its objectives